Tuesday, May 23, 2006

FLAT TIRE

So, tonight I got a flat tire in SEATTLE ... but the way it went is really funny ... I would say almost unique ...

... today the story starts from the office this afternoon. We had a kinda important meeting here in SEATTLE today ... one of these HIGH PROFILE BLABLABLA MEETING in order to setup a new project ... some important people in the room ... some Senior Manager who flew all the way through US to get there. The meeting went all right ... for the first time I tried my new introduction "My name is Andrea Bonanomi. I am the ## (my field) expert to support this project ... but most important ... I will be the next ##### (my company name) CEO" ... a simple way to make people remember me ... and make them understand that I am as serious as George W. Bush when in May 2003 from the deck of the LINCOLN declared the conclusion of the MAYOR OPERATIONS IN IRAQ ... :X ... BTW ... if you have the chance try to use this introduction ... it is really funny to check the people reactions ... :D

Anyways ... back to my story ... after the meeting we headed to a dinner at the FISH CAFE restaurant in KIRKLAND ... a town in the SEATTLE neighbourhoods. Very nice and classy restaurant. When we got there all my colleagues parked in the VALET PARKING ... and I did the same. Went to the restaurant. Order. Good appetizers and wine. Suddenly a call on my cell phone ... 801 something phone number calling me. Who is this 801 area code number? Probably it is work ... better I answer ... "Hi, this is NATIONAL RENTAL CAR". Strange, what do they want from me? "Hi. How can I help you". "May I speak with Miss Andrea Bonanomi, please?" ... "It is me. This is Andrea Bonanomi" ... "No, I am looking for Miss or Mrs Andrea" ... again this game ... I should change my name here in US ... :O ... "I am Italian. In Italy Andrea is a male name. It is me" "Very good Mr. Bonanomi. I am calling you because your car has a flat tire" ... mmm .... what is going on here ... am I already drunk!? ... I rented the car with NATIONAL ... that's true ... but the car is in the parking lot in front of the restaurant ... how they can call me and tell me that I have a plat tire ... this is a joke ... "A what? A Flat Tire? Sir, how is it possible you know my car has a flat tire!?" "So, you left your car in the VALET PARKING at the FISH CAFE restaurant, right!?" "Mmmmmm ... yes" "So, the restaurant just called us and told us that your car in the VALET PARKING has a flat tire and if you would be so nice to go there and let them know what to do with the tire they will appreciate it. After that you can drop the car at the closest NATIONAL location and pick up a new car". "WOW ... that's really funny ... BTW ... can you come here to exchange my car?" "No sir!" "OK ... I tried ... I guess my lucky bonus is over today ... :D". I am telling the story to a colleague and he thinks I am already drunk. I am going down to the parking and there is the VALET parking guy, LARRY and the restaurant manager who are waiting for me. They basically want to know if I want them to change the tire ... of courseeee I want ... I am becoming a AMERICAN-FAT-ASS myself ... :) I speak 5 minutes with LARRY ... he is a surfer himself ... but he told me he is normally freezing his feet (and not only those) in the OREGON water ... I feel lucky ... I can surf in the cold but still warmer CALIFORNIA waters ...

Dinner went OK ... we had a wonderful ALASKAN SALMON ... apparently a very rare type of salmon ... and I can tell you ... very good ... never got such a tasty and delicate SALMON ... but most important went I went back to pick up the car it had the new tire. I gave $40 TIP to LARRY ... something I never did before ... and I think I could have give him more ... but this is what I had in my wallet ... but again ... I think this is the most deserved tip I gave in my life ... and I was happy to tip ... :D

I need to be honest here ... I always associated VALET PARKING with lazy FATASS people and TIP with AMERICAN TOURISTS coming on vacation to ITALY. After 6 years of living between ISRAEL and US I am start changing my mind ... and tonight I realized that both VALET PARKING and TIP sometimes are simply great ... :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was nice of them ... happy your night ended that way! :)

Anonymous said...

....ciao CEOOO!?!?=":::=)(?!?!??!

....My name is Laura ...and I am the most important living expert in......siliconeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

...ahahhahhahah!!!!

....anyway...
....what can I say about the valet help....he has been really soooo kind with you.... and he really deserved a biiiiiiiig tip!!!!! well done Andrea ;) ....

Anonymous said...

I liked "the next xxxx CEO" part... that's what I like the most, unexpected comment especially in kind of "important asses" meeting..

Great idea. Thanks.

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */