Friday, May 05, 2006

CINQUE MAGGIO / CINCO DE MAYO

When you are a student in Italy you have to study by heart a famous poem from MANZONI (one of the most important Italian writer) ... title of the poem is CINQUE MAGGIO (5th of MAY) ... it is a nice one ... even if I don't remember it anymore by heart I always liked it ... it is a about the life and the fall of NAPOLEON BONAPARTE ... it is so full of energy ... it portraits NAPOLEON in all its most famous campaigns around the world. He did himself a kinda of WALK THE EARTH ... :o ... the title of the poem is 5th of MAY because in this day back in 1821 NAPOLEON died on the St. Helena Island.

I always connected the 5th of day with NAPOLEON's death. Living in US, especially LA ... where the MEXICANS are outnumbering all the other communities ... I discovered the CINCO DE MAYO holiday ... the celebration for the independence of MEXICO.

I visited MEXICO back in December last year and I simply loved it and on top of that I was lucky enough to make some good friend there ... so today I would like to wish to all my friends and not only to them FELIZ CINCO DE MAYO ... as a nice memory from MEXICO here a picture I took with my fellow backpackers CELINE, ANDREAS and MARTIN in CHIAPAS last December ...

... you can recognize the EZLN (Ejercito Zapatista Liberation National) sign ... claiming we were not in MEXICO but in the ZAPATISTA land ... happy CINCO DE MAYO to you too guys! And in particular to all the guys out there that are struggling for any reason ... a piece of wisdom from a TAXI in GUANAJUATO, MEXICO ...

... DIOS PROVEERA' means G-D WILL FIX IT ... :D

No comments:

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */