Monday, July 10, 2006

HOME SICK

Last time that I had been to Italy was back in June 2004 ... more than 2 years ago ... my "excuse" for not going back very often ... is that I had been enough time in Italy and thanks to my parents I visited it all (but Sardinia) and there are so many new places that I want to see ... and most of my friends are coming to visit me ... that I don't feel like the need to go back ... but since yesterday I have this strange feeling ... I feel I am in the wrong place ... yes ... since yesterday I really feel HOME SICK ... and it is funny because it is now 8 years that I am travelling abroad and I really never felt it ... but I guess the Italian victory in the WORLD CUP makes me feel so attached to my country, my flag and my people ... that it is inevitable to feel HOME SICK at the end ... here is, for example, the way we have celebrated the victory in Rome ... this is the bus of the Italian team moving from the airport to the CIRCO MASSIMO where 1/2 Million people (!) were waiting to celebrate ... ... apparently overall 1 Million people (!!) welcomed back the 22 Italian football players ... amazing ... and everything was celebrated in pure Italian style ... so the scooters couldn't be left out of the party ...
... and not even some request to have FABIO CANNAVARO (our captain) nominated Saint immediately ...
... really funny ... but again ... VERY ITALIAN ... and this is the way I celebrated today in my office here in Dallas, TX ... this is my cube ...
... not the same ... but I felt special anyways ... all my colleagues were really nice ... it was really a nice day ... I read a lot from Internet today ... and what I liked the most were the comments from our Prime Minister (no politics here) who said how ... we won not thru the skills of a superstar but thru the team work (something we are always poor in Italy) and the hard work ... and the understanding that you have to fight until the end in order to achieve something (while sometimes as Italians we are happy to make 99% of the work thinking that everybody know that we can also do the other 1% ... so don't really need to do it) ... I don't know ... today I feel really proud to be Italian ... we have a great history ... a great country ... a wonderful people ... and we could have a great future ... if we just would have the determination of these football players ... we would do miracles every single day ... who knows ... I really hope that this will be a good excuse to look at us ... and realize that we can win ... something we are afraid to do sometimes ...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Italy won and are the World Champions and to see how proud this makes you feel. Just reading your blog makes me feel excited and part of something in some crazy way and I am not even Italian. (I just always felt they would win!)

Your pride, happiness, passion and enthusiasm is infectious and always makes me so proud to be your friend Andrea!

Congratulations!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You should also mention that it is "very italian" to be proud to be italian only when your team wins the world cup ...

Andrea said...

Ahahahaha ... that's right ... let's imagine having 1 Million people waitig for our Financial Minister after a G8 meeting ... or having the Italian flag in my cubical ... I don't feel like doing it ... :D
__

And if that was a personal criticism ... it is not true ... read here ... I am proud to be Italian for something more important than a World Cup ... http://andreabonanomi.blogspot.com/2006/04/election-day.html ...

Andrea said...

Ale ... promised ... I will be back to Italy in 2006 ... :O XA

Anonymous said...

....it is really strange...!

.... I also lived abroad (not for such a long time as you) ...but I understand perfectly what you mean...
...one day you wake up ...and suddenly you feel this new sensation...something you never felt.....the day before everything was ok (you are free of doing whatever you want..etc etc...)....but today ....you fell that something is missing in your life...and you find yourself thinking at your country...your home ... your friends....
....

...mmmm...when I read one of your previous post ...I thought that something was changing for you ... I mean..it is difficult to explain... you wrote something like "I was dreaming to be with my friends in Italy and celebrate with them".....

...mmm....

...I hope you will find an "excuse" for coming back soon... :) in Italyyyyyyyyyyy!

...we miss you!!?!??!?!?!?!?

Anonymous said...

....it is really strange...!

.... I also lived abroad (not for such a long time as you) ...but I understand perfectly what you mean...
...one day you wake up ...and suddenly you feel this new sensation...something you never felt.....the day before everything was ok (you are free of doing whatever you want..etc etc...)....but today ....you fell that something is missing in your life...and you find yourself thinking at your country...your home ... your friends....
....

...mmmm...when I read one of your previous post ...I thought that something was changing for you ... I mean..it is difficult to explain... you wrote something like "I was dreaming to be with my friends in Italy and celebrate with them".....

...mmm....

...I hope you will find an "excuse" for coming back soon... :) in Italyyyyyyyyyyy!

...we miss you!!?!??!?!?!?!?

Andrea said...

Sooooo nice to have friends like you who are missing me ... and are not afraid to say that ... I feel really lucky ... thanks ... BTW ... I truly believe that express our feelings, especially in an "open" forum like this, is an achievement that only the wise people can reach ... way too often I see, unfortunately, "adult" people who think that express our feelings is childish ... XA

Anonymous said...

Ciao Andrea and Alessandra and everybody else, this is my first time blogging (sic?) I don't care about soccer and I'm not homesick at all... but I like this blog anyway, I love you guys!
Federica from Michigan

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */