Thursday, April 20, 2006

1 YEAR TO READ A BOOK!

BELIEVE IT OR NOT ... IT TOOK ME 1 YEAR TO READ THIS BOOK ... actually 1 year and 2 days ... and I finished it today because I felt to ashamed of myself! Today I was thinking that I bought this book pretty much 1 year ago ... so I decided to check the receipt inside the book and ... holy cow ... I realized that I bought it on April 18th 2005. It was too much ... today I read the last 5 pages ... FINALLY ... :D

I kind of remembered when I bought it because I bought it in JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA ... I was in a shopping mall waiting for the photo shop to copy my camera memory stick to a CD and I decided to kill the 1 hour going in a book store ... and I found 2 interesting things ...

* A PHOTO BOOK OF THE ARIZONA ANTELOPE CANYON
* THIS BOOK

IN THAT BOOK STORE I DECIDED THAT I HAD TO VISIT THE ANTELOPE CANYON AND I HAD TO READ THIS BOOK ... I was lucky enough to have money to buy the book (and 367 days to read it) and I did manage also to visit the ANTELOPE CANYON ... :o

ANTELOPE CANYON ... you have to visit it ... no excuse ... you have to go there and take a picture ... it is amazing ... probably I will post a picture that I took there when I will be back in LA (where my back up hard drive is). But if you can't wait ... there are plenty of pictures in internet ... look for them (eg http://IMAGES.GOOGLE.COM/) ... the pictures are really stunning ... the canyon itself it is very small and not that impressive compared with other canyons in ARIZONA and UTAH ... but again ... picture wise ... it is perfect ... :o

Going back to the book ... I did read half of the book in the 3 following days in SOUTH AFRICA ... probably during my long bus rides ... and after that I kind of forget about it ... reading few pages here and there ... not many, though ... :) It is the autobiography of GIUSEPPE GARIBALBI ... the general who back in the 19th century unified ITALY (which was divided in at least 14 small states and kingdoms before that) ... the amazing thing is that he did it w/ 1,000 men w/o proper equipment ... a typical ITALIAN MIRACLE ... :o ... anyway the book is OK ... but not that interesting ...

What I liked the most in the book is a sentence I found in there ... "RECIPROCAL FEAR RULES THE WORLD" ... I think it is, unfortunately, very true ... a pity, though ... and I think our rulers (democraticaly elected / not) undestand it really well ... and they use it in order to lead entire countries to WAR ... what a madness ... :o

Anyway one of my resolutions for 2006 is to read 1 book/month ... so far (after 4 months) I read only 2 books (counting this) ... I think I need to blog less and read more to make it happen ... :o

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea! I have seen pictures of Antelope Canyon and have ALWAYS wanted to go there but ... I am embarrassed now.... I didn't know where it was or what the name of it was. Now I have to go there.......

Reading is also a great and one of my favorite things to do.... and helps you dream sometimes............

Expand your mind!

Anonymous said...

If I am ever able to afford a house... a little dream would be to have a little library or some room with a window seat so you could sit and read and have the sun on your face while doing it. (Or you could always sit outside too.....)

Andrea said...

Actually ... it happened the same to me when I saw the picture in the PHOTO BOOK ... I gave a name to a place I thought was existing only in my dreams ... and when I realized it was so close to LA ... BANG ... I planned my trip ... :) So ... I hope you will go there as well ... have a good trip and let me know if you will like it! XA

Andrea said...

I agree ... a house needs a library ... XA

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */