Sunday, February 11, 2007

OUR BODY & OUR SELF

This morning I finally went to visit an exhibition that I meant to visit several times before. For some reason I missed when it was in LA. So I thought I couldn't miss it also here in Dallas. The name of the exhibition is BODY WORLDS. And in these months it is in the Dallas Museum of Nature & Science ...In this very moment there are 3 of these exhibitions running in parallel. The other two are in Chicago and Phoenix. I am glad I went to visit it. The work is definitely stunning. Basically there all these human bodies that had been "plastified". I guess the correct name for the process is "plastination". The inventor of this process is a German anatomist. His name is Gunther von Hagens. Anyways the work is technically amazing. You can see all the internal details of real human bodies. To me it was a difficult exhibition to visit. Very interesting. But difficult to digest. I think that every time I looked at the details of a human body I had in front of me, the question that always popped in my mind was "What is really a person?". Definitely I didn't find an answer in this exhibition. Actually I came out of this exhibition with a bag of new questions and thoughts. I am still thinking about them and I think I will carry with me for the longest time. But I love to carry them with me. No pictures are allowed inside, so if you want to have an idea of what to expect ... just Google (with image function) something like "body words". If you haven't seen anything of this exhibition before, you will be amazed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are very artistically done and definitely worth the visit...

another thought that crossed my mind was... would you be willing to be part of the exhibition?

Anonymous said...

He can't he is Italian and there is no way they can stop him shaking his hands ;) how scary it to watch an un skinned human moving his hands and constantly shouting ;)

Andrea said...

Ehehehe ... good one ... :D XA

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */