Sunday, May 20, 2007

The PEOPLE of PUERTO RICO

Not sure why people travel. For me I always thought it was really the need to see new places. And that is definitely a big part of it. But it is not all. You can see the greatest natural beauties, you can visit the perfect art masterpieces. But what really makes a trip something special and unique is the people that you meet. I am always fascinated from the way different people live. The same has been during this trip to Puerto Rico. Coming from US, I have found so many differences in the way the people is spending their free time and in the way the people is approaching you. Here the people is definitely more aware that life is way too short to waste it trying to impress other people, like it is happening most of the time in US. I had really the impression that the way the old San Juan is built, gives much more chances to people to relax and to interact with each other. This is something that is definitely missing in US. Here in US most of the interaction between people, outside the work space, is in the bar or not existing at all. Everybody here live in their wonderful gated houses, very proud of the money that they spent for it. This reminds me of something that a Spanish teacher told during a class. In order to understand the difference between American and Mexicans (and for extension between North European and Mediterraneans - Latinos) you need to understand, the way they see their home ... an American will tell you "My home is my castle" while a Mexican will tell you "Mi casa, su casa" (i.e. my home is your home). Very true. Puerto Rico people has been very nice with me. I enjoyed very much to have them help me to visit the city of San Juan. Here also a couple of pictures on the way they like to enjoy each other company ...
and of course also here in Puerto Rico, people like fast and shiny and red cars ...

No comments:

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */