Wednesday, June 20, 2007

MIRRORED ROOM

I really like this picture. The more I look at it, the more I like it. I took it on Sunday at the Albright-Knox museum. Tina is in the "Mirrored Room", a 1966 work of Lucas Samaras. For a strange coincidence today I was reading in a book something about mirrors that made me think. Basically the writer was explaining that we, as human beings, have a natural need to understand who we are. So, since the ancient times, we built mirrors, and other tools. We look at us in the mirrors, and we discover our self. But if you think about it, the mirrors have lost their function. We are so used to see our face in the mirror that we don't question anymore what we see. It reminds me the stories of the WWII German concentration camps survivors, who after they have been liberated, look in mirrors and they don't recognize themselves anymore. I read it in books. And I heard the same story from my grandpa as well, who spent almost 3 years in a concentration/labor camp. It makes sense. Personally I have so many chances to look at myself in a mirror that I have lost the excitement to discover my face or myself when I am using it. Sad enough, I use it just to understand if I have to shave or to check if the shirt matches with the pants. I think we should rediscover the mirrors and our self. Or maybe all this is just BS. In that case I hope you will enjoy, at least, the picture ... :D

No comments:

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */