Thursday, October 25, 2007

PASHUPATINATH, Nepal

The name, Pashupatinath, looks almost impossible to read, but it is actually pretty nice to read. It has a sweet sound. Pashupatinath is probably Nepal's most important Hindu temple. Actually it is a set of temples ...... but the reason why so many tourists come here, are not the temples. The temples are built on the banks of the holy Bagmati river and this is the biggest cremation site in Nepal. As a tourist it is difficult to judge if it is right or wrong to take pictures here. Like many other tourists, I actually took some pictures ...... it is strange to see the body of a man burn in front of you. You wonder what the life is all about. I am not sure if the visit to Pashupatinath help me to better understand it. Definitely it did help me to realize that the answer is not simple and although the religions, with all their dogmas and ceremonies, are helping us to better understand the sense of life, at the end of the day it is in ourselves that we need to find the real answer to that question. And to me the answer that I gave to myself today looking at this cremation is that life is too short, and that we spend too much time in unimportant things. Looking to myself, and to the people around me, I have the impression that most of the time we give for granted that we will live forever and we forget what is really important in life ...

No comments:

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */