Monday, November 13, 2006

FIN DEL MUNDO

... funny to find a internet cafe and update my blog from me ... FIN DEL MUNDO ... END OF THE WORLD ... yep ... strange ... or probably not ... we are in the year 2006 ... and probably the end of world doesn't exist anymore ... but put it like this ... finally here I am ... in USHUAIA, ARGENTINA ...... this is the southernmost city in the world ... south of here ... there is not really much ... an other piece of Chile ... Cape Horn ... and the Antartica ... yep ... pretty much from here you can only go back ... you can't really go further ... mmm ... my initial plan was to go to Cape Horn ... but I think I gave up on that for now ... I am happy of what I have done and seen so far ... today while I was here looking south ... I committed myself to go to ANTARTICA in one of my next trips ... they are not that expensive ... mmm ... not really cheap ... but not impossibile for a solo traveller like me ... something like $3,000 for 10 days ... mmm ... OK ... that will be an other trip ... I guess you want to know how is down here ... OK ... if you are curious I will tell how is to get here ... mmm ... in my 10 hours bus ride I thought a lot about it ... and I have realized that the road that brings to the end of the world is a kind of metophoric copy of the world itself ... you can find pretty much anything ... and its opposite ... rusted signs to reminds you how important the place where you are standing is ... like ... the Strait of Magellan ... BUT ... if you look at it .. you don't really believe in it ...... there is the Strait of Magellan itself ... populated of penguins ... dolphins and ducks ... BUT ... of course these animals are too fast for my sleepy hand and for my 3x zoom pocket camera ...... and ... there are of course ... the large and colorfull buses of useless tourists like me ... colorfully dressed with the pockets full of USD and with the lightest and coolest backpacks and equipment ...... BUT ... there are also the small and packed minibus of workers who are still coming down here to find a decent job in order to send back to their family some decent money ... looking at us ... like we look at the penguins ...... there are horribly dusty roads full of trucks carrying goods to feed the western world lifestyle of the end of the world city ...
... and there are beatiful houses with colorful rooftops and wild flowers blessing their frontyard ...... BUT ... also on the road to the end of the world there are car accidents ... the one I have seen yesterday ... didn't ended up too good for the car drivers ... really sad to see ... a utility car and a DODGE SUV having a pretty bad accident ... you can immagine the brutal end of the utility car ... :( ... mmm ... and of course there are the ... beloved and behated BORDERS ... nice and exhiting if you are a tourist and nobody asks you why you are going on the other side ... BUT ... sad if you are looking for a job or for a better life on the other side ...... and also here there are the alldaylife dramas ... real dramas ... like desaparecidos ... missing people ... lost people ... person perdida ... people like me or you ... young ... old ... who just disappear ... probably without a reason ... without a letter ... without a word ...... for a while their pictures will remain on a wall ... BUT ... after that the pictures will disappear from there as well ... BUT ... there are also faces and names that will remain always there ... like the one of EVITA PERON ...... mmm ... what else ... yes ... at the end of the world ... there are also hostels ... this is the one where I am staying ... EL REFUGIO DEL MUCHILERO ... ... $8 a night to share the dormitory with French, Israeli, Dutch people ... mmm ... probably the END OF THE WORLD is not that different from the rest of the world ... or ... probably I was naive to think differently ... have to go now ... the guy has to close the internet cafe`... ehehe ... also here aat the FIN DEL MUNDO the people has watches ... :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure to enjoy your different perspective. :)

P.S.: I have always wanted to go to Antarctica - don't care if it is cold! Always wanted to see Aurora Australis (or Aurora Borealis - preferably both someday)

Anonymous said...

Finalmente,oggi lunedi 20,sono riuscito a vedere il tuo blog.i luogh8i che stai visitando,dalle foto(bellissime),devono essere veramente unici, e ,perciò ti faccio ancora tanti complimenti che sia riuscito a vederli.naturalmente,ricordati,noi siamo sempre con té.....e adesso tramite questo blog ancora di più.Salutaqmi tutti i tuoi amici,che vedo dalle foto,nuovi.bellissimo il ghiacciaio,e la moto di un temerario.....insomma,bello,bello,bello.!!!!!!!!!!!!!ciao,e,in alto le antenne...!!!Marino e Ancilla...

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */