Saturday, November 11, 2006

GLACIER GREY, Chile

... so here I am ... to describe one of the most incredible day trip I have ever done in my life ... still in the Torres del Paine National Park ... Kim and I went for a day trip to see the GLACIER GREY ... really stunning ... but really supercold ... here is KIM chilling out ... :D ...... because the glacier is in the middle of the mountains and the last part is a lake ... you can reach it by boat ... and on the way to the glacier you find these incredible icebergs ... really cool ...... the glacier itself is really incredible ... I have never seen one this close and this colorful ... apparently the different blue colors depend on how much the ice is compact ... more compact it is more the color is blue ...... the glacier is really huge ... bur apparently due the global warming ... its size decreasing day after day ... really sad ... at the moment ... it is 7km wide and more than 20km long and 500 meters deep ... but apparently only in the last 11 years it has shrinked more that 4km ... and becaue not all our politicians believe the environment requires more care ... please run to see it ... before it will disappear ... sad ... eh!?!? ... mmm ... yes ... really sad ... I think we should do a backpacker party ... :O ... when you travel so much ... and you are so close to the environment ... you realize how everything is interconnected ... and how small is our planet ... so the gas bill of a California SUV will impact on the global warming ... and the size of a glacier in Patagonia ... don't let me think about it ... :( ... anyways ... if you aren't tired yet ... here some pictures of me ... close to the glacier ...... cool .. and cold ... sooooo cold ... and I had fever as well ... so the poor KIM had to feed me with medicines and drive me all the way to PUNTA ARENAS where I am now ... I was totally dead ... really KIM has been such an angel during this trip for me ... not sure how I will manage now without her that she went back to the Falkland Islands ... mmm ... almost forgot ... here is how Jorge a 80 years Chilean man celebrated his birthday ...... a 2 weeks trip to Patagonia ... with his 6 daughters and 1 son ... in the pictures only 4 of the daughters ... but please don't wait to be 80 to come here ... a trip to Patagonia is the best gift you can do to yourself any moment you want ... :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful! love the glaciers! maybe someday i will have an opportunity to have an experience like this - enjoy it!

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */