Thursday, August 03, 2006

FEAR and LOVE

Today I was having dinner with an Indian colleague ... I don't exactly how ... we ended up speaking about Gandhi ...... and he told me something that attracted my attention ... something like "I don't like what Gandhi did" ... I couldn't believe it ... how someone can't love Gandhi!? Especially an Indian. So I asked him why ... he told me he didn't want to speak about politics and religion with a colleague ... but at the end I managed to know what I meant ... basically he didn't like something that Gandhi did ... basically in his opinion most of today India problems are due to the fact that Gandhi didn't want to completely "exchange" Hindu and Muslim population with Pakistan (i.e. giving Muslim to Pakistan and keeping only Hindu) when the two countries got their independence ... I know a little bit of that piece of history (i.e. I am also trying to read a book about it)... but I can't really comment ... the only thing that I thought when I was speaking with him ... is the song FEAR and LOVE by MORCHEEBA ... one of my favorite bands ... I love it for its message ... it is something I never really realized before I heard this song ... the antagonism between FEAR and LOVE ...... when I grew up I thought that LOVE is always in antithesis to HATE ... and I kind of believed it ... when I didn't manage to love things and people I was asked to myself why ... and now I realized that the question that always works is "Why am I afraid to love this person?" or "Why am I afraid of this love this situation?" or "Why I am afraid to love this place?" ... and I pretty much always find an answer who is simple and manage to relax me ... and eventually live better ... and I believe that the greatest person we have seen on this planet were people who were not afraid to love ... without going back to religious figures ... think to people like MARTIN LUTHER KING or MANDELA or GANDHI himself ... he wasn't afraid to love also his Muslim fellow countrymen ... he was assassinated for this reason ... but I believe he was right ... he didn't allow the fear to kill his soul ... I like that ... mmmm ... probably too much philosophy ... better I go to sleep ... today it has been a long day for me ... at the end I went to sleep at 5AM ... but the meeting with the customer went pretty well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Gandhi has a much bigger vision of India, not based on religion, sect, color or race, he stood for his cause and was martyred for his cause. I am from Pakistan and in my opinion the biggest mistake made by all of south Asians is to got into the trap of accepting a divide based on religion, race, color even language (Pakistan & Bangladesh). Greater or united Indo-Pak can kick ass ;)

Andrea said...

Well said Malick ... I agree on Gandhi ... but ... I am not sure if PAK + IND can really kick any ass ... I mean you got the atomic bomb ... I hope you guys won't use it ... and you will continue just to play cricket ... :D XA

Anonymous said...

all these talks of different religions, so far one specific religious keep blowing itself up.
September 11th.

Andrea said...

Said that I am christian ... I believe that the only people who drop an atomic bomb on other people house / kindergardens / offices / gardens / movie theathre / restrooms / bedrooms / factories ... were christians ... do you remember Hiroshima August 6th 1945 and few daya after Nagasaki ... exactly in 2 days we will have the anniversary of Hiroshima ... said that I DON'T BELIEVE IT IS A PROBLEM OF RELIGION ... it is a problem of FEAR and LOVE ... if you fear other people you won't be able to love them ... and you will do crazy things ... like Hiroshima August 6th or NYC September 11th ... that was my idea when I wrote the post ... and it is still my idea ...

Anonymous said...

http://www.robert-fisk.com/

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */