Sunday, July 01, 2007

HIKING MT. BALDY

Here it is. The hike to the Mt. Baldy summit. Emily, Sheila, Tina, Daniel and I are leaving the 6,100 ft (1,800 meters) campground around 8AM and we are attempting the summit of 10,064 ft (3,019 meters). Something like 4,000 ft (1,200 meters) elevation gain. Told like this, sounds like the climb to the Everest summit. Of course it is not. But still for the five of us, it is a small adventure. We decided to make a loop. On the way up we took the steep Bowl Trail. This is the view from the trail after half hour hike ...... and these are some pictures on the way to the summit how Mt. Baldy looks like. Close to the top the mountain is really without any tree. From there the name, I guess ...After 3 hours I got to the summit. And these are some random pictures there. the funny thing is that just on the summit I found out, from a local mountaineer, that Mt. Baldy is not the highest peak in Southern California, as I thought. The highest peak is Mt. San Gorgonio. Its peak is 11,502 ft (3,506 meters). That will be a good work out for my Nepal hiking trip. I think the five of us will have to do an other expedition. I am trying hard to convince my four buddies ...And this is the way down. We took the Devil's Backbone trail. Less steeper, but without any shade. Good thing that we didn't do it on the way up ...There was the chance a ski lift in the last part of the trail. Daniel and I decided to go with the trail. Emily, sheila and Tina, were probably just smarter and they used the ski lift ...And here the tastier part of the day. After eating all day energy bars and drinking Gatorade, on the way home we stop to IN N OUT to get a proper meal. Absolutely phenomenal burgers and fries ...

No comments:

 
/* Begin GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */
/* End GOOGLE ANALYTICAL Feb.17.2009 */